We use cookies on motorsport-academy.com

We use cookies to personalize content and advertisements, to offer you the best possible website experience and to analyze traffic to our website.
For more information, see our Data protection information and in the imprint .

Consent Settings

Here you can configure the permitted cookies yourself.

Technical and functional cookies, for the best user experience
Marketing cookies to ensure the success measurement and personalization of campaigns
Privacy Policy | Imprint | Contact
Language DE Language EN



UPDATE 2021 - Q&A and dates Nordschleifen License DMSB Permit Nordschleife


18. June 2021 Training Permit Nordschleife (8h - Full day) 1580 EUR

What is the "Nordschleifen License"

The new "Nordschleife License" (correct name DMSB Permit Nordschleife) is an additional race permit which is mandatory for participation in racing events on the Nordschleife. The aim is to improve the safety of racing events, by ensuring that a minimum of experience on the Nordschleife is present about regulations, behavior on the track and the ideal line. The license can be obtained either by participation in racing events or through a course - for dates follow the link:


Who needs the Permit

All races on the Nordschleife (VLN, ADAC 24h/24h Qualification Race, RCN Race Schwedenkreuz, Youngtimer/FHR). RCN runs (called "Leistungspruefung")  don't need the permit, altough it's highly recommend that they should go through this training voluntarily.

Are there different levels

Grade C: Only for RCN Race "Schwedenkreuz" and Youngtimer / FHR

Grade B: VLN, 24h Qualification Race (6h) and 24h Race in "small" cars like V2 - V5, Opel Cup, Toyota Cup, BMW Cup

Watch out - for the 24h race the ADAC will make additional conditions which race experience is neccessary to join the 24 race.

Grade A: VLN, 24h Qualification Race (6h) and 24h Race in "big" cars (V6, SP3T, SP5 to SP10 (GT3/GT4), Porsche Cup)

How do I apply for a permit

go to mein.dmsb.de

After fill out the apply form, you were guided to the DMSB online Learning System. EVERY driver has to do an online quiz about special nordschleife race regulations.

Find tutorial for apply procedure via this link:


How much is the Permit

Grade A 82 EUR, Grade B 54 EUR, Grade C 28 EUR

How do I get the Permit C

via participation in 2 RCN Runs ("Leistungsprüfung") within 24 months or with a "short training" by the race organizers (theory seminar and trackwalk).

Note for RCN Race Schwedenkreuz: As a rookie you can't participate only with the "short training", you need also one race result from RCN Leistungspruefung / FHR / Youngtimer  on the Nordschleife beside the "short training" (theory seminar and trackwalk).

How do I get the Permit B as a rookie

This depends on your drivers license grade

national A and international D: Qualification is only via participation in 3 RCN Runs ("Leistungspruefung") within 24 months.

international Race license Grade C or higher: By participating in a driver training "DMSB Permit Nordschleife" Link to training dates or also by 1 RCN run "Leistungspruefung" alone or two RCN runs "Leistungspruefung" if you share the car, and additional E-Learning.

How do I get Permit A

There is no direct way to Permit A, you receive it only by race experience in VLN or 24h qualification race with your Grade B Permit.

  • one result has to be 75% of your class with at least three cars in class
  • one result has to be 33% of your class with at least three cars in class, and you have to drive 33% of the race laps
  • at least 18 Race laps in total

For the validation of your results and the laps you need a verfication card signed by the clerk of the course.

Link for verification card

Download it and take it with you to the races to get the signature on spot.

I raced sucessfully in VLN, but my treammate crashes our car after my stint! Is this result also valid for the upgrade to Permit A

In this case, a committe of VLN, 24h Race and DMSB representants decides individually.

I already raced VLN and 24h before the permit was launched - do I need the training

If you never had a Permit Nordschleife, but you raced on the nordschleife longer ago, contact DMSB for exemption. Depending on experience and result, further qualifications (eg participation in a course) may be imposed.


How should I prove my race results

Don't call the DMSB and tell them "You have to know me!". Look at the VLN or 24h Homepage at the History and you will find a season review for the last years. Print out your class results (not total result) and send this with your apply form to the DMSB.

How long is the permit valid

Grade B: Once applied, the Permit is valid unlimited. So you can have a break for a year ore more and after that apply again for the Grade B Permit.

Grade A: If you don't applied for the Permit A within the last five years, you will be downgraded to Permit B.

Can the Permit be withdrawn

Yes, because the DMSB has introduced a so-called register for yellow-flag breaches. If a driver violates three times against the rules (like speeding or passing under yellow flag) the Permit may temporarily withdrawn.

Who offers the trainings

The organizer has to be certified by the DMSB and follow the implementing rules for DMSB Permit Nordschleife driver trainings. Also the instructors are certified officials with lot of Nordschleifen Race exeperience. As one of the first providers, the Motorsport Akademie has these certification and offers the trainings.

What is the content of this driver training

The contents are determined by the DMSB in the implementing rules, each training begins with a detailed theory about special rules and flag signals at Nordschleifen races, followed by at least 4 hours of training on the Nordschleife for the line as well as simulations for yellow flag situations or intervention car exercises.

Do I need a car for the driver training to participate

Definetly, as you will do at least 16 laps on the nordschleife. Depending on the training, in some only street legal cars are allowed, in some also race cars.

What cars are suitable

Any car which fits depending on brakes, weight and suspension and will last 16 or more laps on the nordschleife. Power to weight ration better than 9.6 PS per kg. Good choice is for example BMW 1 or 3 series, Golf, Astra, or comparable. SUV, Van, open cars or soft top cabrio are not allowed.

Are there rental cars available

Normal rental companies like Avis, Sixt or whatever do not allow (and send spys to trainings like this!) the use on the Nordschleife, so be aware. Choose one of the local race car rentals like http://www.rent4ring.de/en/ for excellent nordschleife prepared cars.

Can I join the training voluntarily

Of course, this is highly recommended for race novices on the ring or even tourist drivers as you learn a lot about line and behaviour on track. But to enter the training a race driver license is mandatory just to avoid unexperienced drivers with no knowledge about racing.